Sometimes here, I feel like there is no way that I can still be in the real world. Like I have left New England and journeyed to some quaint foreign country where everything is 10 years behind and just a little off. They still speak English, but it is just different than what I speak. They wore things that people wore 10 years ago with pride. It's a little off-putting, but in a sweet, naive way.
As an example, Mr. T & I went to Dairy Queen for some takeout the other night. To start, there are families that eat in restaurant at Dairy Queen, and Wendy's and consider that a fancy night out. I understand that may be all this town has, but I don't think I have eaten in a fast food restaurant sober since my 6th birthday at McDonald's. It's fast food, you're supposed to grab it, drive away and then eat in shame in your car. Now, back to the family eating, they seemed nice enough, but something was just a bit off. They got along... and not in the "we're being civil, but under this thin film of civility, there is serious resentment" way, but they actually liked each other. They were laughing and joking and everyone was sober. It's just not what I'm used to, my family is awesome but we put the fun is dysfunctional in the best possible way.
And as the icing on the cake... the mom was straight up dressed
and coiffed like Nikki from Big Love, fundamentalist flowered dress, pouf and curly blond hair...
It was damn near panic inducing, like I had stepped into some weird religious sect. "Join us, Join us."
Beyond that, the technology that I took for granted in the city is just not there. When moving, we ordered the biggest cable package and the fastest Internet they have, so at home everything is pretty good, but I am accustomed to seeing "Free WiFi" signs everywhere and being able to count on them to check email and surf the web on the go. Well... I'm S.O.L. here. I have encountered a few places in Bangor, which is nice, but even the local coffee shop gave me a strange look when I asked. Not to mention that flashing my iPhone around here is the equivalent of "making it rain."
Even if I do consider this a foreign land, at least they are friendly and welcoming.

"Not to mention that flashing my iPhone around here is the equivalent of "making it rain.""
ReplyDeleteI love this line so much it hurts my face.