Thursday, October 18, 2012

Kind of Like Hotel California

Similar to the Hotel California, I feel like I'm on a vacation where I've checked in, but I can't ever leave.  At least these past two weekends, we've had some visitors. My best friend, Dory, and her boyfriend came up to escape the city for a long weekend. They are both teachers and she is in grad school as well, so needless to say, they needed some relaxation.

They were scheduled to arrive Saturday, the same day as our town's "Fling into Fall" festival, which included a parade, car show and some other cutesy small town events. The parade was scheduled to happen at 11, and based on when they left, they would be arriving at 12:30-ish. Knowing what I did about parades, I assumed that it would be hours long and the entire street would be closed all day. I also assumed that there would be floats and bands and vendors selling all nature of obnoxious noise makers... I was wrong. Around 11:10, I started to hear sirens and noise, so I took a walk out to the main road to investigate this "parade," and the first thing I saw was what I thought was a woman walking two dogs, looked like labs. I was a little bummed, had I known that I could have dressed by pooch up in some festive attire and show her off to the town, I would have gotten involved. Then I noticed that the chocolate lab had horns and.... this is a goat. A woman was walking two goats on leashes down the main road. She was then followed by Captain Jack Sparrow driving an ATV... that's pretty much all I needed to see. Clearly when they say parade, something is lost in translation.

So after our guest's arrival, we took a look to go see the sights in town and check out the "Fling" events. There were a few cool things at the local craft fair, although nothing I couldn't make myself. Except maybe the whittling... I don't trust myself with sharp tools. Well then took a spin through the antique car show and headed back to the house and over to Belfast, which is the bigger town. We discovered (and I literally mean that, I didn't know it was there, that there is a brewery in town and they do free tastings in the afternoons. So after sampling a few brews, we picked up some growlers and wandered some more. We stopped in the Army Navy Store, which reeks of old man and then headed up the great hill to the car and back to the house so that the men could nap and the ladies could catch up on my DVR'd Project Runway.

Sunday involved a trip to Camden, which is a cute little town, similar to Belfast, but a little more concentrated and somewhat more upscale. I always enjoy Camden because it's like the kind of town my mom would love visiting and vacationing in. All the stores are charming with a lot of bespoke goods and unique finds, unlike Searsport, which is an antiques (fancy for other people's junk) mecca.
 Mr. T enjoying the scenery in Camden (also checking Twitter)
 Chains holding a dock in the water.
 Waterfall and brook outside the Smokestack Grill, where we had lunch.
 Just some Banquet Coors (not ours).


And then after some breakfast on Monday, they headed back to the big city. It was amazing to see them both and to know that even if she is 10 feet away or 100 miles, it's still the same.

My in-laws followed the following weekend and it was largely the same plan, except change the beer tasting to a trip to the hardware store and to find a rug and it's the same format. I'm pretty unoriginal when it comes to planning, so anyone else who is planning on visiting can expect pretty similar, depending on the time of year and guest.

No comments:

Post a Comment