Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Searsport, Seriously Small Town

It came to my attention when looking up the town we are living in that the year round population (2,641) is roughly the same number of people that when to my high school. Seriously. That's a town?
That's the bustling downtown area. A veritable metropolis.
It also appears to be a former home to many great sea captains, which intrigues me as I love all things nautical. Out of the 43 miles that the town covers, a third of that is water. It's going to be an adjustment. I get the impression that my aloof Boston attitude is not going to go over well. 

In terms of location, it is pretty far up there, about 3 and a half hours from Boston, an hour east of Augusta and then just south of Bangor. It's a nice location but not really near much. There is a Hannaford supermarket in town and a couple small chain restaurants, including Wendy's and my favorite, Pizza Hut Italian Bistro. Seriously, PH, stop fronting. You serve pizza with cheese piped into the crust, no part of that says "bistro."

Just to give a small example of how far we are, Mr. T and I were searching for the closest warehouse store (BJ's, Costco, Sam's Club) nearby and found some surprising results. We started with BJ's since we already have a card there, nothing even on the radar, so we moved on to Costco. We were given a location, in Fredericton, New Brunswick... as in CANADA. I can just imagine the conversations at the border: "Ma'am, what's your business in Canada?" "I need a lot of toilet paper and chips." Needless to say, not a lot of buying in bulk in our future.

I took a walk around in town to get the lay of the land and to pick up tickets for the dump. Encountered a few interesting things.
This isn't even ironic. It's legitimately a former fuel oil building. 

This is the library. It's so pastoral and adorable. 

Story about the dump to come later. For now, I'm working on some sewing (back up and functional after the move). Will probably post pictures of that later too.
 

1 comment:

  1. Apparently the Canadians have no problem using our stores: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/residents-washington-town-want-stop-canadians-shopping-nighborhood-170812607.html

    ReplyDelete